Saturday 28 December 2013

Kheng Hai Hui Boneless Chicken Rice

By Walter Ng

Hi guys! If you remember, exactly a month ago, I wrote a post on Ming Kee Chicken Rice & Porridge at Bishan.
If you are not fond of the long queuing time or the price of the food, here is another alternative which I had come across. This store is based at the Old Airport Road Food Centre and each plate of chicken rice costs only $2.50! (How cheap is that..?) The serving portion is reasonable too!



This hidden gem is located at the back of the food centre. Most people would not walk through the last lane, thinking that it is full of the smaller stalls with hardly anything special about them. However, they are wrong! This stall over here serves such good chicken rice, but not many are aware of it.

While i was eating my chicken rice at the central part of the food centre, a lady approached me and asked, "Excuse me, but where did you get this from?" I told her and found out that, by then, she had been looking for chicken rice around this food centre for quite a while already but couldn't find a decent store that sold good chicken rice. I then took the chance to introduce this stall's chicken rice to her. She left satisfied!



This was my set. It costs about $2.50 and the soup is a must try! It has a very strong chicken flavour and was, somehow, very soothing on the tongue :)



The meat was tender, smooth and very moist as it was soaked in the stock. The skin was also easily detachable (this shows how smooth the meat was).



The rice was fragrant and from afar, I could smell the chicken stock. It was also smooth and the rice kept me going for more, even after I was done with each mouthful of rice.



The chili sauce was good; it was acceptable for me, as a person who doesn't eat chili often. There was a slight spiciness before the true taste kicked in and numbed my tongue for awhile. A must try for all chili-lovers.


Conclusion: This store brings me back to the days when I had chicken rice as a kid. I remember vividly, that as a kid I was always looking forward to my mother getting me a packet of chicken rice after kindergarten class because of its fragrance. After eating that packet of rice, it would make me happy and light up my day after having spent the whole morning in school.


Rating

      

Kheng Hai Hui Boneless Chicken Rice
#01-18, Old Airport Road Food Centre, 51 Old Airport Road

1 comment :

  1. Page looks appealing, and the food looks delectable.

    ReplyDelete

Facebook Badge