Friday 20 December 2013

Toa Payoh Bak Kut Teh

By Daryl Ang

So a few days ago I decided to visit my friend Sam in who lives in Toa Payoh.
We chatted a little, gamed at his house for a while and then I got hungry. It was lunch anyway. Since it was just the both of us that day, I asked him where to find good food at this part of Singapore. Then we travelled to a coffee shop somewhat near the Toa Payoh MRT station and it is then that I discovered yet another ‘hidden gem’- one of the best tasting Bak Kut Teh’s I’ve tried. Just drool at this (the bottom picture):





As most Singaporeans would know about this local delight, Bak Kut Teh is a Chinese soup consisting of meaty pork ribs simmered in a complex broth of herbs and spices. Traditionally it’s served with just a bowl of rice but for this meal I decided to get myself a little extra, a side dish consisting of preserved peanuts, salted vegetables and bean curd skin. And boy, what a wise decision it was, I’ve had one heck of a meal!


The standard garlicky taste was present, as was the peppery sensation. The dong kwai (angelica sinensis) and kay ji (wolfberries) herb touches were not overly cloying. But it felt like the balance was incomplete and could do with a little more salt. Overall though, the broth was exceptionally sumptuous- one that really hits home with a typical Singaporean hawker foodie like yours truly.
Priced at an acceptable price of $4.90 per bowl, this dish is a must-try!
                                               
   Rating

     
      
   Yuan
       J22 Eating House, Blk 177, Toa Payoh Central, #01-174 
         Operating Hours: 11am-8pm daily (till further notice)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Facebook Badge